One quick addendum to the question of BNF cataloging:

Yes- there are an extensive set of catalogs and updates to same in print.
I suggest starting with the "catalog to the catalogs"-

Mérigot, Lydia, and Pierre Gasnault. Les catalogues du Département des manuscrits: manuscrits occidentaux. Paris: Bibliothèque nationale, 1974.

As this provides the most useful, concise and reliable overview of several issues that can impact looking for the actual catalog entry of the MS that interests (i.e. changes in shelfmarks, even fonds over time, etc.) It can save much fruitless searching and is really very helpful.

I also recall that for more recent additions to the BNF its sometimes possible to find notices in the various publications of the library (I think there is a quarterly? library journal that has notices of acquisitions by dept.) If a MS is too recent an acquisition to have been included in the most recent published catalog it might possibly have been given a brief write up elsewhere.

For a long time the Bibliotheque de l'Ecole des Chartes also included (annually?) short notices of recent acquisitions. I'm not sure if this practice continues to the present day- but that might be worth checking out.

Also, it's always worth checking the online index of the Scriptorium 'Bulletin Codicologique':
http://www.scriptorium.be/

cheers,
Aden