On Wednesday, March 29, 2006, at 1:05 pm, Sean Field wrote:

> By the later 1240s Franciscans in particular were applying the
> details of
> Joachite and pseudo-Joachite eschatology to current events and
> looking
> forward to 1260.  For details see Robert E. Lerner, "Frederick II,
> Alive,
> Aloft, and Allayed, in Franciscan-Joachite Eschatology," in Erner
> Verbedke
> et al. _The Use and Abuse of Eschatology in the Middle Ages_
> (Leuven,
> 1988), 359-384, and more briefly Lerner, _The Feast of Saint
> Abraham_
> (Philadelphia, 2001), 39-43.

The editors of the volume in which Lerner's article appeared were
Werner Verbeke, Daniel Verhelst, and Andries Welkenhuysen; its
publisher was Leuven University Press and its series info is
Mediaevalia Lovaniensia, series 1, number 15.  If you're interested in
the posthumous reputation of Frederick II or in Etna as a portal to
underworld, this is not an article to miss.

Best,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]