From: Tectonics & structural geology discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Grenville Draper
Sent: March 7, 2006 10:02 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Power Point presentations

All

I am convinced that the "businessification" of research and universities has a lot to do with the perceived decline in the quality of talks. How many of us have been in a position where we wanted to attend a meeting just to learn something new and to have a chance to talk to some colleagues?  However, you can't get financial support to attend unless you give a talk, and you find yourself either rehashing an older paper, or presenting something that is half done that would be a much better talk the following year.  Institutional "bean counting" seems to have pushed certain colleagues to the point where they only attend the meeting to give their own talk, but don't stay long enough to attend others talks and learn something.

I am 55 and perhaps having the same thoughts as Angelina.  I wonder what our younger colleagues think.

Cheers

Gren

Grenville Draper

Department of Earth Sciences