	Dear All

	Yet another disabled people's organization closes thorugh lack
of financial support.

	Colin

	From: Peter Millington [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
	Sent: 22 March 2006 10:00
	To: [log in to unmask]
	Subject: Closure of Disability West Midlands

	Disability West Midlands

	Prospect Hall

	College Walk

	Selly Oak

	Birmingham B29 6LE

	21st March 2006

	Dear Member / Friend of Disability West Midlands

	Unfortunately Disability West Midlands will be closing our
offices at Prospect Hall on 31st March 2006. Due to the loss of our
long-standing core funding from the Regional Health Levies Fund our four
remaining staff are being made redundant and our information service is
now closed.

	As you will know from correspondence last year, DWM went into
administration in April 2005 due to debts. In November there were two
meetings held at Prospect Hall, one for creditors and one for DWM
members, at which both groups voted to accept the Company Voluntary
Arrangement (CVA) which had been proposed by Andrew Appleyard of Haines
Watts.

	Whilst this should have been good news for the organisation and
on this basis we ought to have come out of administration straight away,
unfortunately Andrew Appleyard discovered a legal conflict within the
CVA, causing a very considerable delay which has still not been
resolved.

	Remaining in administration has made it very difficult to fund
raise although there is a possibility of new funding in a few months
time. The executive committee have therefore decided to keep the
organisation's charity registration and it's registration at Companies
House until the long-term situation becomes clearer. In the meantime,
please keep in contact with the Executive committee through our acting
chair, Clenton Farquharson who can be contacted by writing to the
Prospect Hall address - post will be redirected to Clenton for at least
12 months.

	I wish you all well and hope to work with many of you again in
the future. As you can imagine, after 15 years working for Disability
West Midlands I have a huge amount of happy memories and I am also
filled with great sadness about recent events. Finally, I want to say a
big thank you to my work colleagues and to colleagues on the executive
committee who have handled the recent situation with enormous
commitment, dignity, decisiveness and courage.

	Yours faithfully

	Pete Millington - Acting Chief Officer

This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about the list administratione should be sent to [log in to unmask]

Archives and tools are located at: