One place to learn about voice recognition software in detail and in terms
of suggested as opposed to not so suggested routes and products is from
the deliberations of lawyers in this area.  One Law Technology discussion
group, Technolawyer, have been over time very favorable to Dragon
Naturally Speaking software.  Access to the archives of Technolawyer is
fee based.

Technolawyer
http://www.technolawyer.com

Dragon NaturallySpeaking
Family of Products
<http://www.dragontalk.com/>

There are undoubtedly quite a number of other players in this arena by
now, however.

This search in the Froogle service of Google will provide some of the
choices available to the reader.

<http://snipurl.com/nvc2>

This search in Google Scholar will give one much to chew on regarding a
wide range of issues and technical guidance:

<http://snipurl.com/nvc8>

This search in Google will provide a huge array of content, some
commericial, some quality discussion from Google regarding lawyers and
speech recognition software.

<http://snipurl.com/nvcl>

For those interested in the use of databases, this post regarding the
EBSCO databank of database searching services may be of interest to some
of the members of this discussion group.