Hello everyone

I've been a lurker on the list so far, but the email below has got me to post.

Recent debates on the forum about onroad cycling facilities look to be made more urgent by this small but potentially serious change to the Highway Code (see article below)

One of my fears about on road cycling facilities (probably well articulated in the forum discussion which I confess I skimmed a bit..) is the risk of a presumption that I should be using them if they're there - meaning that if I choose instead to be part of the traffic, either a driver feels less obligation to give me space, or if the worst happens a drivers' insurers/lawyers argue its my fault for getting in the way of the vehicle when alternative facilites were available, regardles of how inconvenient/unsafe they are.

This modification to the Code seems set to give that position conclusive weight, on the road and in the courts. So, just takes a few seconds to send an email to your MP via the CTC site (link in article below), at the least.

Looking forward to the weekend..

Matt

Dr Matt Watson
Department of Geography,   Durham  University
Science Site, South Road, Durham, DH1 3LE, UK
t   +44 (0) 191 334 1856
f   +44 (0) 191 334 1801
e   [log in to unmask]

Get the full picture. Click here to see the html version.

<http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/news/week_news/news1.html <http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/news/week_news/news1.html> >

WARNING: THE HIGHWAY CODE MIGHT DRIVE YOU OFF THE ROAD

Every cyclist should be aware that The Driving Standards Agency is currently revising the Highway Code. This includes a proposal to urge cyclists to 'use cycle routes when practicable and cycle facilities ... where they are provided (Rule 58)'.

This sounds like common sense until you consider the implications.

What if you were hit by a car on a road near a cycle path and the lawyer or insurance company defending the motorist used the alibi that the accident wouldn't have occured if you had stuck to the cycle path? What if you consider your local off-road cycle path less safe after dark than a lit road? How many cycle paths have a sign at every access point to alert potential users of their existence?

The Driving Standards Agency's proposal ignores the decisions every one of us takes whenever we travel. One day we'll choose the safest route. Next day, the quickest and most convenient. On Sunday, when time is not a consideration, you might take the prettiest. All these factors come into play whether we cycle, walk or drive. The problem with this proposal is that, for the first time, it questions the cyclist's equal right to use the public road (bar motorways / dual carriageways). And it ignores the fact that whenever you choose to cycle rather than take the car you are part of the solution to the ever-growing problems of road congestion, danger, pollution and global warming. Cyclists are not the problem, yet, once again, we are being singled out by the bureaucrats. The Driving Standards Agency's brains are obviously crying out for oxygen. We suggest a brisk road ride.

The CTC (Cyclist's Touring Club) are heading the campaign against this bad proposal. They have even penned a suggested email, automatically addressed to your MP. See ctc.org for the full story.
<http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4303 <http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4303> >