Jason et al

well yes - i see where you're coming from - but however you spell it -
magic is not just a set of techniques - imo - but more defined by some sort of
gnostic or spiritual quest - rather than some sort of 'failed' technology
(the old frazier view that so influenced Crowley and his successors).

IMO every technique has an 'implicite' theology.

When you say you can detect a bit of magic in all religions -
i think you are falling back into the old mode of thinking -
whereby you have magical techniques on one side and the search for god etc.,
on the other. Many religions use certain techniques to prove the validity of their central beliefs
 - ie. the magic has a religious purpose.
Hence JCs practice of exorcism was seen as proof of the coming kingdom of god -
it wasn't some kind of sideline.
Likewise in tantrism - the performance of the siddhas requires special religious devotion
by the operator - the two things are inextricably linked.

There may be a special case in roman egypt - which was a very lively time when essentially a new religion,
or new version of the old Egyptian faith - based around the Greek Magical Papyri - was in construction -
that's HD Betz's opinion.

' love and do what you will'

mogg