  _____

Fra: Society for The Academic Study of Magic
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] På vegne af Helen Farley
Sendt: 29. marts 2006 09:21
Til: [log in to unmask]
Emne: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] Golden Dawn

Hi Caroline,

I did my Masters thesis on the Golden Dawn Cypher MSS. This is the
consensus.

In 1499, a Benedictine Abbot named Johann Trithemius from Spanheim in
Germany wrote the first known book on cryptography. The book, called
Polygraphiae et Universelle Escriture Cabalistique, was printed in Latin,
but appeared in German and French around 1561. Alas, the Abbot was accused
of black magic and all copies of the book that could be found were publicly
burned. The cypher used to encrypt the Cypher Manuscript was derived from
this book. It was not a cypher in the true sense of the word, but was rather
an artificial alphabet originally used by alchemists to conceal their
secrets, and was therefore suitably occult. Waite stated that the key to the
Cypher Manuscript was readily accessible in the British Museum. He believed
that Westcott would be sufficiently familiar with the old literature of
occultism and magic to be able to examine any of half a dozen editions of
Polygraphiae et Universelle Escriture Cabalistique in order to find the key.

Hope that helps!

Helen