Malinowski had a similar take. Magic is seen as a
psychological mechanism for confidence building in the
face of uncertainty.

That said, I'm interested in the interface between
magic and PSI, or parapsychological studies which
addresses things such as remote viewing, healing at a
distance, synchronities, ect.  Biogenetic
structuralism provides one potential theoretical
framework for discussing how inner change within one's
own wetware potential influences the world at large
through nonlocal channels.

I don't know of any research that's been done on
practicing ceremonial magicians with regards to PSI,
but organizations like the Institute of Noetic
Sciences (www.noetic.org) have a growing databased of
studies on the role of the mind in nonlocal
phenomenon.