Well, I have some experience in performing this block in people who come through the door with a #NOF, and the occasional #shaft of femur.

I discovered this technique while I was doing a refresher session in theatres. Our anaesthetists now swear by it, and do it for a variety of elective and emergency OPs around the hip, femur and knee.

It is certainly easy to do. It just needs a blunt needle, e.g. the one used in theatres to draw up drugs from vials. Alternatively, some people use a Tuohy needle.

The main principle is, that a blunt needle gives you the desired feedback as to when the fascial planes are pierced. As the penetration of the two fascias (lata & iliaca) is quite obvious, we also call it the ‘pop-pop’ block.

It certainly minimizes the risk of neurovascular injuries, as the landmark is more lateral than for a femoral nerve block.

As far as effectiveness of the block is concerned, I am somewhat sceptical.

I had good results, but also a number of complete failures, despite 100% happiness with the technique.

I know, this is only anecdotal medicine, rather than EBM.

My personal gold standard for analgesia in #NOF and #shaft of femur remains a nerve stimulator guided femoral nerve block. This technique is now firmly established in our department. If you get anterior quadriceps contractions at the correct threshold (which is possible in, I’d say, 95% of patients) then this block has RELIABLE & PREDICTABLE success.

Agreed – it takes more time than the FICB and needs an assistant, which can be a factor in a busy ED, but this time to my experience is well-spent for the patient.

It is a myth that this nerve-stimulator guided block is poorly tolerated on awake patients.

Some time ago, we wanted to do a three-arm study, comparing conventional iv opioids vs FICB vs nerve stimulator guided FNB.

We felt slightly put off by the amount of paperwork, that now seems to be needed these days in order to get a project like this off the ground - so it didn’t happen.

Maybe there are people out there who have more stamina than me, and who will do it?!

However, I claim to have an idea of which of the regional blocks is going to be more consistently successful.

If it was my hip – definitely nerve-stimulator guided FNB.

Regards,

Niels Merkel

Worthing Hospital

Worthing