From: James Cameron [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 10 March 2006 21:12
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Inpatients with Head Injuries

day and night (we also have a consultant to consultant referral for ordering
CTs and we follow NICE.  The radiologists know that we don't order scans
unless we have to and so we don't really have any arguments about any
requests at all)

Why does it have to be an Emergency Medicine Consultant who requests the
scan from the Radiologists in a patient who needs a CT head and conforms to
the NICE guidelines?

Why can't it be the Registar? Or, for that matter the SHO, so long as they
have confirmed with their registrar first?

Why wake up a Consultant at 3am to call the Radiologist, why not speak to
them directly? It seems unnecessary for any request that falls within the
NICE criteria.

Do the Radiologists think - 'Well if I'm going to be woken up, so is the EM
Consultant' ? If the Orthopaedic team said from now on we want all A+E
referrals to come from the Consultant would that be appropriate? Presumably
the Medics know you don't refer patients to them unless you have to and
don't argue either?

I know of one hospital where they've simplified matters - the radiographer
confirms the request is according to NICE guidance and does the scan - the
radiologist only has to be contacted in time to come and look at it.

I think with CT and now with interventional radiology, the Radiologists may
have to realise they've ended up in an acute specialty. The alternative is
Emergency Medicine having their own CT, reporting their own scans, to be
reviewed by a neuro-radiologist via the internet in another country during
their day. Then the radiologists will have argued themselves out of a job
completely!

James Cameron.

EM  SpR