In East Cheshire we are possibly going to lose in-patient paediatrics, as a
result of the greater manchester review-in Emergency Dept. we are strongly
resisting losing on site paeds as we do not have the skill mix nor capcity
at consultant nor middle grade tier,we believe to provide a safe service.We
are seeking a review by a prof in Emergency medicine to clarify what
resources it will take to remain viable.The view we have is that there
should be 24hr A&E middle grade, and consultant skill mix to support the
middle grade.A reliance on simply having APLS is not enough.
I have spent many hours recently phoning around the country enquiring at
models of 24hr rurual or semi-rural verus urban A&E dept that have no on
site paediatrics:weston super mare (twinned with bristol childrens),
ormskirk (twinned with southport), chorley(&preston), cheltenham (&
gloucester).Huddersfield(&halifax).
I would be happy to discuss further on the phone Mon-Thurs 01625 421000
bleep 5015
Mark Nicol
Emergency Physician
macclesfield Hospital
Lead clinician for Future Healthcare project