Both surface and underground.

I see your point though about the use of flash underground, although not a
big issue in our area as it's metal mining rather than coal.

Mining in the Tamar Valley was pretty well dead by 1900 athough there were
small scale recovery operations off and on up to the 1970's. So I'm really
thinking of photos between 1851 when the Collodian process was introduced
(this reduced exposure times from millenia to just a few seconds) and the
1970's.

The complexity and relatively high cost of photography up until 1888 would
certainly have an impact, but 1888 marked the year that George Eastman
bought out his 'box' camera to use celluloid film and bought affordable
photography to the masses - so 1888 to 1970's should be awash with photos.

What period are we talking about with J C Burrow?

Regards

Lee