From: Virtual Learning Environments [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf
Of Henry Blackman
Sent: 28 February 2006 09:11
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [VLES] In-House VLEs and their use

Hello.

I'm new to the list, so apologies if this isn't the right place to post (it does seem to be!).

At the University of Chester we are beginning the HE Academy Benchmarking Pilot, and one of the themes that we have chosen to pursue is to compare our in-house developed VLE with commercial and other OSS VLEs such as Moodle, and Bodington.  To do this, we are conducting a small amount of research in the sector to determine who is using in-house VLEs.

The recent UKERNA research into the use of VLEs showed up to 25% of Universities/Colleges use an in-house VLE and I wanted to find out more (I was suprised it was this high).

What would be really useful is if members could let me know if their University/College use in-house VLEs, and if so, to what extent, that is, if it is your primary VLE, school/faculty, or for a single course.  If you could also give a few perceptions of the effectiveness of the technology that would be particularly useful.

Indeed if members know about other Universities, please let me know.  We won't be contacting anyone, unless you are willing - and any contact will be very brief.

At the University of Chester we use software developed in-house named "IBIS".  It's been actively developed for the past 6 years, and has been shown to be effective in delivering content, as it has a strong content management slant, and well established ePortfolio tools.  We have looked into other solutions, but have so far felt that the in-house solution, being completely open (at least to us, so far) gives us several strengths such as the adoption of standards, integration with student records, and other single-sign on systems.

Thanks,
Henry

Henry Blackman
Assistant Director CIT Services
University of Chester
01244 51 3374

This message is sent in confidence for the addressee only and may contain confidential or sensitive information.

The contents are not to be disclosed to anyone other than the addressee. Unauthorised recipients are requested to preserve this confidentiality and to advise the sender of any errors in transmission.

Any contractual commitment intimated within this message will only be binding upon the College when confirmed by an official purchase order or formal written contract.

Any views or opinions presented within this email are solely those of the author and do not represent those of North Nottinghamshire College.

Should you require any further information about North Nottinghamshire College then please visit our web site at http://www.nnc.ac.uk

THE FOLLOWING WARNING IS GIVEN IN RESPECT OF ANY ATTACHMENTS

1. Whilst North Nottinghamshire College takes steps to prevent computer viruses from being transmitted via electronic mail attachments, it does not give any guarantee that attachments do not contain such viruses. You are strongly advised to undertake anti-virus checks prior to accessing any attachments.

2. All brand names, product names or titles and copyrights used, either within the body of this message or in any attachments, are the trademarks, trade names or copyrights of their respectice holders. No permission is given by North Nottinghamshire College in respect of the use of any such brand names, product names or titles or copyrights that may constitute an infringement of the holders rights.