-----Original Message-----
From: Therapeutic Communities
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Craig Fees
Sent: 13. februar 2006 13:13
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: I Can't, We Can

http://www.icantwecan.org/

A little over a year ago - January 9, 2005 - I posted a "TCs in the News
2005/8 [outside the usual model]" note, linking an article in the Baltimore
TImes about I Can't We Can. The article seems now to have expired, but I
saved it to disk, and copy it in below for information.

best,

Craig

Your Marketplace is Now Open and Serving the Needs of the Community
by Patreka White
Baltimore Times
Originally posted 1/7/2005

A new marketplace is in town. Those that remember the Jai Medical Center on
Park Heights that caught fire three years ago, should notice a newly
renovated Your Marketplace, a business that Israel Cason, president and CEO
of I Can't We Can, says is in place to serve the community.

Your Marketplace, located at 4432 Park Heights Avenue, opened on December
25, 2004. The 10,000 square foot strip mall is host to a medley of vendors
and sub-tenants which includes: Your Supermarket; Corporate Tranquility, a
massage therapist holistic healing center; Yes I Can Security; and Your
nutrition, a retail outlet that offers holistic alternative organic foods,
just to name a few.

What's unique about Your Marketplace is that it is a network of I Can't, We
Can alumni. According to Cason, people come through the program and once
they graduate they look for ways to maintain and sustain their lives. Space
is created in the marketplace for the alumni to come in with their own
businesses.

"We try to open up doors so that they can maintain themselves and become
entrepreneurs. People often meet with barriers once their records come up.
We try to circumvent that by instructing them on how to be an entrepreneur,"
explained Cason.

Started May 1997, I Can't We Can is a holistic, non-profit corporation
dedicated to promoting a healthy lifestyle. The program offers an array of
support services that range from transitional houses to detoxification and
mentorship. The program offers treatment on demand for substance abusers.
Its purpose is to save lives and win souls by using the therapeutic
principle to help one another. The program provides an intense spiritual
environment for six months to a year.

"Since we are a self-supporting organization we have to find ways to sustain
the therapeutic community. It is one of several business entities, utilized
by the program to fund the services that are provided around the clock,"
said Cason.

It took a year of planning and the collaborative effort of a construction
and a remodeling company that is a part of I Can't We Can to renovate the
space that now accommodates nine stores.

The plan was to have several vendors and stores occupy the space. I Can't We
Can encourages its clients to become entrepreneurs. There is also a Yes We
Can employment agency located in the marketplace.

Cason also said that they are in the process of opening a Dollar Store on
the corner of the marketplace, within two weeks.

"Your Marketplace is an entity of Yes We Can, a for-profit that is part of I
Can't We Can. The vendors rent the space. The money goes back to aiding
people who come into the program off the streets," said Cason, "Your
Marketplace represents the people. Your Supermarket is based on a model
owned by The Nation of Islam," said Cason.

Imam W.D. Mohammed, son of Elijah Mohammad, founder of the Nation of Islam,
from Chicago was present at the dedication and ribbon-cutting grand opening
of Your Marketplace.

"Your Marketplace is an asset because we offer alternative and organic food.
We are trying to teach people how to eat differently," emphasized Cason.

For several months I Can't We Can has given away 150 tons of food to those
in need. They will continue to give food to the needy on Tuesday, Wednesday
and Thursday at 4 p.m. at Your Marketplace.

The marketplace will be open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. For more information on
Your Marketplace and I Can't We Can call 410-728-4491 or visit
www.icantwecan.org.