Hi Folks

One for you networking gurus. We're working with a couple of vendors to get to
BAFOs on ScotGrid Phase 2.

In particular I want to make sure we get the networking right on the new
cluster, which basically comes down to:

1. Internal copper 1Gb networking, supporting multiple traffic flows around
the cluster without bottlenecking (this is not just for grid work and there
will probably be a modest bit of MPI work going on, but no, we can't afford
infiniband).
2. Support for minimum of 200 hosts, rising to ~400 in 12 months.
3. Multiple fibre uplinks with L3 routing.

Easy management, with a single interface would be a big plus.

To that end I'm looking at a stack of Nortel 5510s[1] and thinking, "nice".
These are 48 port 1Gb units, which can be stacked in sets of 8. Their switch
fabric claims to support 160Gb internally, so there should be no
bottlenecking.

Does anyone have experience in this area, with this kit or similar,
particularly any practical experience with recent cluster deployments.

Thanks

Graeme

[1]
http://products.nortel.com/go/product_content.jsp?segId=0&parId=0&prod_id=42140&locale=en-US