Hello,

This is just a short message to introduce myself to the group and give you some
brief details of my background. I have a phd in social statistics from the
University of Southampton and now work at CCSR in Manchester on applications
and development of methods for the analysis of social statistics. My special
area of expertise is multilevel modelling; my Phd topic was to devise a way of
carrying out multilevel modelling of census data for local populations despite
the fact that the available census data for these populations are not of
'standard' form for multilevel modelling. I acheived it by combining the
available aggregate and individal microdata for the population of interest. i
have published several articles relating to this and can give more details if
anyone is interested.

I have a general interest in multilevel modelling and new applications of
multilevel models and have published a considerable number of co-authored
papers that use these methods. I also teach multilevel modelling at postgradute
level as well as to non-academics both nationally and internationally. Having
read Snijders T. and Bosker R. (1999) 'An introduction to Basic and Advanced
Multilevel Modelling' (Sage Publications) and several related journal papers by
Snijders and colleagues, I now understand how social network analysis can be
done within the multilevel modelling framework and i am keen to
develop substantive applications of this method and I am keen to pursue research
in this area.

I intend to come to the meeting on 17th march in Manchester organised by Nick
Crossley and I look forward to meeting other members of this group then.

best regards,

Mark.

Dr Mark Tranmer
Centre for Census and Survey Research