This post suggests to me a simple but adequate answer to this interesting
question (perhaps what earlier posts have also been driving at).  Because
Venus and Diana took the babes from Chrysogonee she never nursed them at
all.  And then also they, as their foster mothers, gave them "uncommon"
food in lieu of that nourishment.

Jane Hedley