Hello, and apologies for yet another request for info/ideas - I have some of my own sometimes, honest.

I'm currently writing something that is essentially a student/undergraduate guide to 'how to ensure you don't do major damage when/if researching in collaboration with, or undertaking activism with 'real people' (aka 'civilians'!!) outside universities' - that's the polite version anyway.  I'm interested in the kind of advice student researchers are given, or that you feel they ought to be given; are there any golden rules on how (again, student) researchers should behave?  How can damage be avoided? What works, what doesn't? What do student researchers have difficulty with, and why?  What might be in it for them/why it might be a good idea to collaborate, or undertake activism that might benefit someone other than themselves?  Why might it not be?  You get the drift?  Any real life suggestions/ideas examples are most welcome, and will of course be acknowledged in the work (if you want them to be!).  Please forward at will - I'm particularly interested in views from those undertaking such work (research students, undergraduates...?).

Cheers

----------------------------------

Dr Duncan Fuller

Programme Leader, BA Geography

Division of Geography

Ellison Building D Block

Northumbria University

Newcastle upon Tyne

NE1 8ST

Direct Tel - 0191 2273753

Fax - 0191 2274715

Divisional Office - 0191 2273428

PEANuT (Participatory Evaluation and Appraisal in Newcastle upon Tyne) - http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/peanut

Mapping Tranquillity - http://northumbria.ac.uk/sd/academic/sas/sas_research/pa/consultres/map_tranquil/?view=Standard

Exploring solutions to 'graffiti' in Newcastle upon Tyne - http://northumbria.ac.uk/sd/academic/sas/sas_research/pa/consultres/graffiti/

'Local to me': Advancing Financial Inclusion in Newcastle upon Tyne - http://northumbria.ac.uk/sd/academic/sas/sas_research/pa/consultres/local/?view=Standard

Participatory Geographies Working Group of the RGS/IBG (PyGyWG)- http://www.geog.leeds.ac.uk/research/pygywebsite/

Geo-publishing.org - http://www.may.ie/nirsa/geo-pub/geo-pub.html

Radical Theory/Critical Praxis: Making a Difference Beyond the Academy?

http://www.praxis-epress.org/availablebooks/radicaltheorycriticalpraxis.html

====

This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private and confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please take no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. Please reply to this e-mail to highlight the error. You should also be aware that all electronic mail from, to, or within Northumbria University may be the subject of a request under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and related legislation, and therefore may be required to be disclosed to third parties.

This e-mail and attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to leaving Northumbria University. Northumbria University will not be liable for any losses as a result of any viruses being passed on.