I am currently taking an interest in some curious inscriptions in what are probably 16th century underground quarry workings.

These symbols, most easily described as a pair of crossed Vs, to create a form of W, have also been located in natural caves in Somerset, and in buildings, carved into timbers around windows and doorways. They have been interpreted as ritual protection marks, placed to protect familiar spaces from witchcraft, at a time when such superstitions were strong and widespread. This is supposed to have been common practice during the 16th and 17th centuries. Other symbols have been found, but the 'crossed Vs' is the most easily recognised.

Is any reader aware of such protection marks being carved or written on walls of old mine workings? My guess is that this is something that has very easily been overlooked in our pursuit of technical development of mining.