In my opinion, based on some unscientific experiments many years ago :--
The candle was the ultimate in design for its purpose, so I can understand
why it was used..( it was perhaps the only thing made available to
them,anyway)
It could be mass produced, relatively cheaply,from readily available
resources and transported quite easily by tying the wicks together, without
much potential damage even in the worst of workings..(The Cornish Pasty
principle)
It could be placed in a number of situations, on the floor , on the hat, in
a crevice, tied to a pole . It could be broken into a number of pieces to
give a spread of light. when required. It could be easily extinguished.
I  think carry a bag of 10 or 12 items the size and shape of tennis balls
would be  lightly undertaken and there would be very few of them useable
after transit.through any narrow passages.
The light was sufficient without being too powerful. A brighter light would
be a disadvantage, casting strong shadows and perhaps having a dazzling
effect. When working in subdued light least brightness is much preferable.
Does not the burning of large amounts of seashell produce lime in a powdered
form and  hence limelight?
 A couple of hundred men using ten shells a day would produce rather large
quantities of a potentially hazardous material.
I dont think local supplies of moss would support a mine for very long . I
also anticipate a few problems in the mass manufacturing of such items when
compared to the comparatively easy tasks involved in the wick dipping
process.
Just my offering .
Dave