At 01:00 05/02/06, Jerry L. Bryant, RPA wrote:
>I tried to send you a photo of the artifacts in question, but the list
>server had objections.

Jerry,

The list is set to reject attachments - send them direct to Trevor -
his address will be in the message header.

Trevor,

The ore hearth, which we believe was the process being used at Combe
Martin from the late 16th into the 17th century, was, on the evidence
from Derbyshire and Yorkshire, stone built with no clay lining. The
key component in the hearth was the workstone, set at the base of the
hearth, which allowed the smelter to bring partially smelted ore
forward into an oxidising atmosphere, initiating the chemical process
which released the metallic lead (the roast/reduction process). One
would expect the stonework of the hearth to be vitrified.

Peter

Peter

Dr Peter Claughton,
Blaenpant Morfil, nr. Rosebush, Clynderwen, Pembrokeshire, Wales  SA66 7RE.
Tel. +44 (0)1437 532578; Fax. +44 (0)1437 532921; Mobile +44 (0)7831 427599

Hon. University Fellow
School of Humanities and Social Sciences (Centre for South Western
Historical Studies)
University of Exeter
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

Co-owner - mining-history e-mail discussion list.
See http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/files/mining-history/  for details.

Mining History Pages - http://www.exeter.ac.uk/~pfclaugh/mhinf/