John's right - please accept my apologies. I have conflated the minor
door into the tower with the c13 porch adjacent to it, which is what I
thought I was talking about. It doesn't help that I've used 'NW'/'SW'
throughout as shorthand for the main way into the nave on each side,
rather than any tower entrance (I've specified where a 'NW' door goes
into a tower) - or that said porch was made far less visible within
decades of its construction, by the addition of those (very French)
outer aisles.

So I am indeed talking about the main N door, just to the E of the
tower. And I had completely forgotten how far E the 'bishops/senior
clerics' nave S door is, and thus the cloister W range. Funny how the
brain 'regularizes' the reality.

John, would I be right in saying though that you are accepting/agreeing
with most of my suggestions for use at Chichester, tentative as they are
- even if memory and simple writing-too-fast has unfortunately blurred
the precise location of doors? Do you think 'lay access' remains a
reasonable ascription for that north porch?

..I now wonder if any other of my suggested large porches or grand W
fronts which have a reasonable case for being the main 'lay' point of
access were into naves that held parochial altars. That would be true
for Hereford and Lincoln, for example: in the case of Lincoln, a
previous church on the same site was demolished to make way for the
cathedral, and the parish altar moved into the new building ... but I
think there was no parish altar at Worcester and Durham, both also here
suggested as having 'grand' lay entrances, perhaps focused on Bishops,
with lay access as a by-the-by ... though here I am really clutching at
memory-straws...

I fear my list may contain further such errors. I'm particularly aware
how much archaeological work is being done on the precise configuration
of cathedral closes in medieval times: it could yet transform our
picture of what (and who) went where. In this regard, David Stocker on
Vicar's Closes and Roberta Gilchrist's recent book on monastic
cemeteries offer much important material - I looked at neither when
writing 'Jim's list'.

I do hope said doesn't prove to have been a foolhardy attempt at the
encylopaedic - and I welcome further
clarifications/corrections/suggestions. Apologies again in the meantime.

Jon Cannon