[log in to unmask] writes:
<<The practice known as incubation was  particularly widespread in classical
Greece (especially in the cult of  Aesculapius), and 'more recently' in the
Mediterranean basin (as far as I'm  aware). The main aspects of incubation were:
night sleep in a holy place;  visionary dreams during that sleep; and
resulting curative  miracles.>>

In this part of the world (i.e. Cornwall), it is sleeping near a holy well
which is reputed to have this effect:  the precise cure sought depending  upon
the well.  It is supposed to be a remnant of Celtic Christianity, if  not
Celtic pre-Christian belief.  There are holy wells elsewhere in the  British Isles
(though not so many survive per acre as in Cornwall), but I do not  know
whether these beliefs are remembered  there.

Susan

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]