Erik Drigsdahl the ever-helpful wrote:

>There is a photo in Joseph Braun: 'Die Liturgische Gewandung im Occident
>und Orient' (reprint Darmstadt 1964) p.340 Bild 161.
>The photo is by Louis de Farcy (19th cent.) who did the first detailed
>publication in his: 'La Broderie du XIe siecle jusqu'aux nos jours' (Angers
>1890-1900). The V&A must have a more recent photo to offer.
>The pluvial cope belonged allegedly to bishop Wedekind of Hildesheim
>(2nd half of 13th cent.).

Ah HA! I _knew_ that someone must have worked on this piece _sometime_ in the past.

The V&A does have some photos for sale, but they don't seem to be online at their "Access to Images" website. Actually my friend's photos are noticeably better than theirs, which tend to be dark and to have poor contrast in the areas where there is tarnished metal thread or bare linen. She also took lots of close-ups, since she is studying the stitching technique.

>Yes, there are 29 scenes in all, with martyrdom of saints!
>The saints are most probably the same as the list of martyrs invoced
>in the litany of the Hildesheim Cathedral during the 13th cent.
>It is not likely you will find any surprises here. If the scenes
>had showed any iconographical originality would they have been
>referred to much more often than it is the case for now.

I'll pass the information along. Do you have a source for the text of the litany?

Thank you so much!

0  Chris Laning
+  Davis, California

to: [log in to unmask]