Jim,

You wrote:

 > ... Although very
> little is known about how the various portals of Chartres Cathedral functioned, it
> would appear that the west portal was used principally for liturgical processions and
> entrances, while those on the transepts functioned differently.  The north transept
> portal was not only next to the bishop's palace and most of the canons houses, but
> there is documented references to penitential ceremonies taking place there.  It thus
> appears to have had ecclesiastical associations.  I would like to be able to prove, as
> well, that the south transept was the principal lay entrance to the cathedral, and
> having different "peoples" using the north and south doors is an interesting
> reference in this respect.  ...

I had always thought the more common association of the north door was
for funerals, since that typically opened onto land reserved for the
cemetery in the shadow of the structure. The south side was for the
servers with immediate access to the east end, while the west was
usually the lay entrance, in addition to processions that included
common people.

Chuck Blatchley

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]