> Doesn't it depend on the position of the choir?  If the choir is wholly in
> the eastern arm, then the laity could well use the south transept as an
> entrance - I would expect this to be the case at York, although Jon Cannon
> may well correct me!
>
> If the choir is under the crossing, I wouldn't expect the laity to use the
> transept entrances - except for pilgrims gaining access to a shrine at the
> east end.

Dear John,
Good point.  At Chartres Cathedral, the choir was wholy in the eastern arm, and the
crossing was a very public place, once full of images and ex votos.  The major
shrine, the  Sainte Chasse, was associated with the high altar.  There was certainly
no ecclesiastical impediment to lay entrance through the south transept.  I'm not
sure how much access the public may have had, however, to the area north of the
church.

> As for the western entrance(s), doesn't that mostly depend on whether there
> are side portals opening into the aisles, leaving the central door as the
> processional entrance?

Another good point, and one which may be quite relevant to the situation at
Chartres Cathedral, which did not have such side portals.  All three western portals
were clustered into the central nave bay since, rather curiously, the bases of the
west towers functioned as monumental entrances to the crypt, through long
passages under the nave aisles.
Cheers,
Jim Bugslag

to: [log in to unmask]