With apologies for cross-posting.

The University of Michigan's freely accessible 'Corpus of Middle English
prose and verse' more than doubled in size over the weekend.
The additions are all in full text, transcribed from modern editions. Most
are also linked page-by-page to page images of the editions from which
they were taken, so you can always go back to check the transcription
against the actual page of the print. Most front and back matter is
omitted from the transcription (in order to maximize the amount of actual
Middle English that we could produce), but the entire book was scanned in
most cases, and can be read online in page-image form.

A brief list of the 146 books in the CME can be found here:
http://www.hti.umich.edu/c/cme/browse.html

And here is the blurb from the 'what's new' page:

   Corpus of Middle English Prose and Verse
   http://www.hti.umich.edu/c/cme/

   To the 62 searchable texts of the original CME have now been added 85
   additional texts, many of them among the largest and most significant
   monuments of Middle English, including the earlier and later
   versions of the Wycliffite Bible, Trevisa's and the anonymous
   translations of Higden's Polychronicon, Cursor Mundi, both versions of
   Guy of Warwick, the chronicles of Robert Mannyng and Robert of
   Gloucester, two versions of Mandeville's travels, Hoccleve's
   Regiment of Princes, the A, B, and C texts of Piers Plowman
   in Skeat's edition, the Pricke of Conscience, the Ormulum, and
   numerous saints' legends, including the Laud MS of the South English
   Legendary. The new texts also include the complete Chaucer Society
   '8-text' single-MS transcriptions of the Canterbury Tales. The bulk of
   these additional texts, transcribed from modern editions, were produced
   during 2000 thanks to a generous grant from the Gladys Krieble
   Delmas Foundation.

   One text of the original CME (Marion Glasscoe's  edition of Julian of
   Norwich, obtained from the Oxford Text Archive) has been removed at the
   request of its present publisher. Our apologies to those who have linked
   to this text; they should remove their link.

These texts have been in the queue to go online for five years,
and their appearance coincides with some major changes to our
retrieval and display system: we would appreciate hearing about
any problems you may encounter using them.

pfs
Paul Schaffner | [log in to unmask] | http://www-personal.umich.edu/~pfs/
316 Hatcher Library N, Univ. of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI 48109-1205

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]