I am working with a passage that I think contains a quotation, and if so,
I would like to identify the source.

The text is Thomas of Monmouth's Life and Miracles of St. William of
Norwich, edited by Augustus Jessopp and M. R. James.  In the passage in
question, Thomas is trying to defend the authenticity of William's
miracles against critics who claim that William is not a saint and the
miracles are fakes.  He writes:

Que nisi nutu diuino fierent, tamdiu nequaquam perseuerassent; quoniam que
ex deo non sunt per se citius dispereunt. (p. 61)

J&J translate the sentence, thus: "The which [i.e. miracles], if they had
not been wrought by divine power, could by no means have continued so
long, since those things which are not of God very soon pass away."

The latter part of the statement (que ex deo non sunt ....) sounds
biblical to me, but I have had no success identifying it.  I have tried
biblical concordances and the PL data base (but I haven't much expertise
in using the latter).  I would welcome additional ideas.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

John

John M. McCulloh 					[log in to unmask]
History Department 					785-532-0373
Eisenhower Hall
Kansas State University
Manhattan, KS 66506