Worcestershire are planning a new central library for Worcester. We want to
provide a spacious and state-of-the-art library and are particularly keen to
ensure our main lending areas are imaginative and welcoming. As part of this
vision we are looking into what space should be allocated to the new adult
lending and children's lending areas. We are intending to start our plans
with a clean sheet of paper and decide how much space and stock we would
ideally need to provide rather than basing it on the historic library
provision or existing and probably outdated library standards. Although the
final design will be a joint public and university library with record
office, we are looking, in the first instance, at our requirements for the
public library service as if it were a standalone facility. To allow us to
develop our plans in more detail it would be very helpful to compare
ourselves with existing libraries serving a similar population. With this in
mind I would be very interested in having details from anyone who has a
central/main library serving a town/city with a population of about 100,000
or more. The information we need is:
What is the shelf stock of your adult lending and children's lending areas
in the central/main library?  - expressed either in number of volumes or in
linear metres of shelving.
What is the floor area of your adult lending and children's lending section
in the central/main library? - in square metres if possible
What is the population that is served by the central/main library?

Please annotate your responses as you wish particularly if you want to
comment about the adequacy of your present spaces - too big or too small for
example. If you have recently planned a new library it would also be helpful
if you could provide details of what criteria you have used to determine the
shelf-stock and the floor area of the adult lending and children lending
sections.

Please reply to me directly to the e-mail address below. I can summarise for
the list.

Thank you.

	Nigel Preedy
	Strategic Library Manager
	Worcestershire Library and Information Service

	Tel. 01905 766239
	E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Privileged/Confidential information and/or Copyright Material
may be contained in this email.  The information and Material
is intended for the use of the addressee(s) only.

If you are not the addressee or the person responsible for
delivering it to the intended addressee(s), you may not copy or
deliver it to anyone else or use it in any unauthorised manner.
To do so is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you receive this
email by mistake, advise the sender immediately by using the
reply facility in your email software.

Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author
and do not necessarily represent those of Worcestershire County
Council.

Although this email and attachments are believed to be free of any
virus or other defects which might affect any computer or IT systems
into which they are received, no responsibility is accepted by
Worcestershire County Council for any loss or damage arising in any
way from the receipt or use thereof.