Hi Bruce

sorry, not convinced by the answer,as A-z is useful way to organise
things, and long pages to scroll down is bad web design. I realise its
not your fault, but as an external user of your site perhaps you could
pass on my comments to your IT people.

But then, as our IT have removed a similar function from our web pages
(perhaps we share the same content management system!) shouldn't be that
surprised that the IT tail is wagging the dog in EH as well as here

cheers
>>> [log in to unmask] 23/02/2006 14:58:58 >>>
Dear Nick

Not sure if you meant to send your message out to the whole HER Forum
list or not, but I thought I would reply to the list to answer your
query.

Yes, there used to be an A-Z listing but due to some technical issues
in
moving to a new content management system for the EH web site a while
ago, this facility became unavailable.

Personally, I find that either using the wheel function on my mouse or
by using the EDIT/FIND facility (shortcut key CNTRL + F) and typing a
phrase such as "North Yorks" will take me to the place I want to find.

As I mentioned in my earlier message, this text-based list will be
replaced in the not too distant future with a clickable map on the
Heritage Gateway which I think everyone will find far more intuitive
use as an index to HERs.

Regards,

Bruce

************

Bruce Howard

Heritage Information Partnerships Supervisor (HER Liaison)

English Heritage

National Monuments Record

Kemble Drive

Swindon