We can all vote with our feet ... literally :-)

Regards

Richard

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Stephen Henley
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Friday, February 24, 2006 1:40 PM
  Subject: Re: AAPG Journalism Award to Michael Crichton

  Indeed we should accept everyone's views - provided that they follow
  accepted scientific methods. There is no room in science even for the
  concept of 'heresy'. However, this does not mean that everybody's views
  should be weighted equally highly. The concept of 'equal time' is a
  crackpot's charter. It is what gives succour to the Intelligent Design and
  creationist militants. It is what gives an air of respectability to
  homeopathy. If people want to believe in fairies then that is their
  prerogative in a free society. But to try and make the rest of us believe in
  them using bogus science is dishonest because fairies, intelligent design,
  homeopathy, and climate-change-denial have no basis of scientific evidence
  and are indeed contradicted by overwhelming masses of such evidence.

  There is an increasing preponderance of evidence that humankind and its
  industrial revolution are having catastrophic effects on the earth's
  climates and ecosystems. Many in the energy industries and many in positions
  of political power are wilfully ignoring this for their own short-term
  advantage. Micahel Crichton's book is neither science nor journalism, but a
  very biased fictional account which presents the very opposite of the truth.
  Those with the vested interests and the power to enforce their own views are
  quite plainly NOT the environmentalists, but the energy industry and the
  politicians who support and are supported by it. The AAPG should be ashamed
  of itself. If I were a member I would now be resigning.

  Rant over (for now)

  Steve Henley