I believe autism is a social construct, in exactly the same way that I
believe disability is a social construct.

That does not mean to say that there are not underlying neurological
substrates and differences that give rise to the symptoms which society has
variosly constructed as Autism, PDD, Asperger's etc.

You will be able to buy my DVD which explains this shortly, a very nice
media construct entitled "Whichever way you look at it, it's still Autism"
from the National Autistic Society and you can read my reasoning here

http://www.larry-arnold.info/Neurodiversity/Mission/whichever.htm

It was presented at the AWARES on line conference and archived discussion on
it may still be available if you log on

http://www.awares.org/conferences/home.asp?conferenceCode=00020001

Of course you may be confusing the issue with the controversy surrounding
Proffessor Elliot of Durjam University and Dyslexia,
http://www.tes.co.uk/search/story/?story_id=2131182 another construct that
society has made out of ones residence on the neurodiverse landscape.

Incedentally Arthritis is a construct too as ones own name is,  ones gender,
ones hair colour and especially the clothes we wear :) Indeed if it were not
for tailors we'd all be naked.

Larry