-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion list for the Crisis Forum
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Ballard
Sent: 01 February 2006 13:59
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: The Way Ahead . . .

The problem is that carrying capacity is likely to be significantly
harmed
by the process of population collapse. While 1 to 2 bn may have been
possible before industrialisation, and surely something more might in
principle be possible with some form of low impact technology, the
transition will not be smooth and we cannot assume that pre-industrial
levels will be available. If we trigger mass extinction then to talk of
any
population levels at all is fantasy.

On the other hand, Limits to Growth - the 30 Year Update argues that an
8
billion population is still conceivable, in a world within limits,
though
the difficulty of making that transition should not be underestimated.

David Ballard
(00 44) (0) 5600 433801 - work
(00 44) (0) 1672 520561 - home
(00 44) (0) 7840 544226 - mobile