Call for Papers

NEW DIRECTIONS IN CHILDREN'S GEOGRAPHIES

7th and 8th September 2006

Centre for Children and Youth

The University of Northampton

Convenors:

Faith Tucker, John Horton, Peter Kraftl, Sarah Armstrong

Themes:

The growth of geographical research on the experiences and lifestyles of
children and young people has been well documented.  The vibrancy of
this research field is illustrated, for example, by the publication in
2000 of Holloway and Valentine's Children's Geographies: playing, living
learning, the launch of Children's Geographies journal in 2003, a
special edition of the Geographical Associations' Geography journal
(2003), and regular sessions at international conferences.  We propose
that it is timely for researchers to step back, reflect upon progress
made to date, and debate new directions in children's geographies.

We invite papers on the following themes:

*	the body, emotions and children's geographies
*	the ethics of children's geographies
*	participatory research with children
*	critical approaches to designing environments for children
*	mobilities and children's geographies
*	quantitative approaches to childhood research
*	popular culture and children's geographies
*	teaching, learning and children's geographies

Abstracts (c.200 words) should be emailed to:
[log in to unmask] by 31st March 2006.  If you would like to
present a paper on a 'new direction in children's geographies' not
listed above, please let us know.

For further information, please contact Dr Faith Tucker (email:

This e-mail is private and may be confidential and is for the intended recipient only.  If you are not the intended recipient you are strictly prohibited from using, printing, copying, distributing or disseminating this e-mail or any information contained in it.

We virus scan all E-mails leaving The University of Northampton but no warranty is given that this E-mail and any attachments are virus free.  You should undertake your own virus checking.  The right to monitor E-mail communications through our networks is reserved by us.