From: Annette King [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 07 February 2006 13:09
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: FW: criticisms about BNIM

Hi everybody,

getting a bit confused here.

I always thought that the epistemological point ( i..e the reason on why the interview technique and the analytic apparatus was developed) about biographical = narrative (i

(i.e. objective hermeneutics) approach was that biographical accounts are a manifestation of a biographical construction a person has (or develops) about his/her life. Developing an understanding of this is the purpose of the techniques of interviewing and analysis.  And that this 'deep structure' of a biographical account has permanence or a sense of solidity beyond the contextual , i.e. it does not change with context (or if it does, then we have a biographical fissure and is noteworthy). Those repeat interviews that people have given in the Holocaust related studies were 'stable' in this sense.

I always thought that there was a tight fit between the approach and the method of inquiry. Because it is not spurious on what you need to do to 'work out' what this biographical (self) understanding is and the analytical steps are an intrinsic part of this - you need to consider the self presentation and contrast it with the deep structure etc. - again underlying this is an assumption that we can indeed do this through the analytical steps and that biography itself is a shared 'cultural'? phenomenon. so in this sense the analytic outcome at its core is not dependent on those doing the analysis -variation yes, but not simply context driven.

.  I also think this is where the sociological implications come into play, because of course behind a biographical (self) construct lie the social forces which shaped these.

I also think that the point that Wolfram Fischer made about one of the challenges of modernity being to actively and continuously construct one's biography over a life course fits beautifully here.    Which in turn raises the question about using in non-modern cultures and also cultures that are very different.

In this sense, we have a an 'integrated' theory that derives from a specific philosophical standpoint - it means it can't be all things to all (wo)men and  probably may not sit will with other standpoints. In the end you might agree with a philosophical standpoint or reject it - but I don;t think it is eminently stretchable to comply with all positions or resolve the dilemmas they pose.

What I do think is a problem is where this approach is most fruitfully employed. The upshot of this is that it is difficult to use the method where there is no emphasis on 'biography', because you are likely to move away from this central point. This brings us back to 'fit for purpose' I suppose.

REgards

Annette

Sending this to you, ~Tom in the first place, as I am not quite sure about convention of the discussion group.

A.

 Annette King sent this to me to forward to the list.

Don’t forget that it is easier for you to post to the list directly – all those who receive messages from the list have direct access to everybody on the list through the address.

Best wishes

Tom

Our 9th Intensive Short Course and our first concurrent Training of BNIM Trainers starts tomorrow. Exciting!

Annette King
Research Programme Manager
HCOOP
East Kent Hospitals