-----Original Message-----
From: Society for The Academic Study of Magic
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of jacqueline
simpson
Sent: 17 February 2006 15:24
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] English Folk Charms (verbal)

Mogg--

Got it! The fuss was in  early March 2005, and fully
reported in UK press (e.g. Times 2nd March, Daily mail
3d with good photo, Guardian 8th, Telegraph 9th).

The stone is a sculpture by Gordon Young in Tullie
House Museum, Carlisle, inscribed with part of a curse
against catttle thieves said to have been proclaimed
by an Archbishop of Glasgow in 1525, and based
ultimately on 'The curse of St Adalbert' which you can
find in Book 12 chapter 18 of Reginald Scot's 'The
Discoverie of Witchcraft' 1584. The stone carries 383
words of the original curse, which is about 1060 words
long. Runes are *not* involved.

Some people tried to get the town council to remove
it, alleging it had caused defeats for the football
team. The Council refused.

There was a website (www.gaddgedlar.com/curse.htm) but
I don't know if it's still around.

Jacqueline