Hi ben..

>>I think if one does look at the sabbat as a mindspace things become very
interesting. For instance how does the sabbatic mindspace of the modern
witches relate to the medieval sabbatic space?<<

I've read academic literature not so long ago (of course I can't remember
who, what, or where now) that said that there is a tendancy for some/lots(?)
of Witchcraft historians to think that "The Witches' Sabbat" *was* a "mind
space" if it was anything. I know that's a bit like what Carlo Ginzberg says
in "Ecsatsies", but it wasn't him who I was thinking of in this case. Does
anyone else know who is suggesting this interpretation of the Sabbat?

I also think that looking at the Sabbat as a mind space is very interesting.
I've done quite a bit of experimental journeying to the Sabbat, sometimes
meeting other people there who we, beforehand, agreed to also attend. I must
admit that my "journeys" were influenced by what I've read about Sabbats,
and also artwork I've seen allegedly depicting Sabbats, and the site I seem
to arrive at looked like a similar mountain site where I have attended real
life modern Witchcraft Sabbats - in the post-1950's style of ceremonial
Wiccan ritual, not a disorderly Baccanalia. I haven't tried escaping from
these visual and text-based "preconceptions" of "The Sabbat", but maybe I
will at a future date... I kinda drifted of into other experiments, but am
still interested in the Sabbat.

~Caroline.