-----Original Message-----
From: Accident and Emergency Academic List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Adrian Fogarty
Sent: 28 February 2006 10:38
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: SAH

But I still think you're overegging it, doing a "Sally Clark" as it were.
First of all, your whole premise of the pretest probability of 5% is based
on CT results. Nevertheless, let's accept for a moment that of a LASH
population (see, you've got me doing it now!), 5% will end up having the
target disease, so 5% is your pretest probability. But then you're stating
that the negative likelihood ratio for CT is 0.02. The very definition of
negative likelihood ratio is tantamount to "the probability of an individual
with the condition having a negative test" so there's no need to factor the
0.02 by 0.05, if the figure of 0.02 has already been established as it were.

Yes, by all means factor in the negative likelihood ratio of LP and factor
that by 0.02, but that will give you those patients who have SAH but are
negative for both CT and LP. And yes they will indeed be rare, but that's
not who we're interested in here; we're interested in the vastly greater
number who will be LP positive after CT negative.

Maybe I'm wrong but if Tim's saying that only 1 in a 1000 negative CTs end
up having SAH then maybe PB's right, we shouldn't be doing LPs at all. But
from my understanding, the figures are much higher than 1 in 1000. Am I
suffering from mental entrenchment syndrome?

AF