Hi all

I've just got around to watching 'Murderball' - a film about a group of
guys with quadriplegia (mostly as a result of spinal injuries) who play
wheelchair rugby at a national level in the USA and Canada.

I searched the archives assuming that there would have been some
discussion about it that I had missed, but found none, which I thought was
surprising.

I was very much moved by the film - both in heartening and disappointing
ways.

I was pleased that it addressed and quashed some of the stereotypes of
disabled people (e.g. as being inactive, dependent etc), that it tackled
issues of sex and sexuality, and that generally it was a really well
made/high quality film.

However, I was also disappointed. Disappointed that beneath the attempt to
break free of stereotypes and oppression, the players simply served to
reinforce and perpetuate ongoing prejudice and intolerance. One player
blatantly disregarded and belittled the participation of people in
the 'special' olympics.

I was left with the uncomfortable sense of a group of people who were
ignorant of their own power and privileges as predominantly white, middle-
aged, heterosexual males.

Is this a reasonable perception? I wonder if anyone else has seen the film
and what you thought of it.

Look forward to hearing your comments
Harriet

This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about the list administratione should be sent to [log in to unmask]

Archives and tools are located at: