Resending a second message that got chewed up.

CAB

Many thanks - the window itself looks modern, simply from the use of
perspective and the lettering at the foot. I wonder whether the artist was
copying something, and if so what date the original was. As I said, well
houses can be post-medieval. Is there a Victoria County History covering
this parish? It's pretty nearly essential to have access to local history
research materials, in my experience.

The locations aren't far from Peper Harrow, which seems to record a pagan
religious site in its name, so Tiw is very possible. I think Peper Harrow is
one of a cluster of pagan names associated with a boundary between
Anglo-Saxon kingdoms. Tysoe, a Tiw name, is near the Mercian eastern border.

The location near Minster Field, with its 7th C 'chapel', would certainly
support James Rattue's section on Anglo-Saxon Minsters and Wells in 'Living
Stream'. (A minster was a bit more important than a chapel in organizational
terms, if not larger in size, but here would probably be the family minster
of a thegn. Any sign of an important estate in DB, or Roman villa?)
Godalming's church is dedicated to Peter and Paul, and is thus very likely
to have been an Anglo-Saxon minster in a royal vill (see Graham Jones's
work), so there's certainly early Christian stuff nearby. Waverley Abbey
could be the medieval promoter of the well, but you'd probably need VCH to
find out.

All good wishes,
Christine B.