On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 17:39:33 -0000
"Burke, S (Stephen)" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Testbed Support for GridPP member institutes
> > [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David McBride said:
> > > Yes, lots. I'm not sure we quite had a fully working grid
> > by the end but
> > > it was pretty close.
> >
> > Surely 2_7_0 was only accepted for general distribution once it was
> > up and running correctly at the pre-release sites?
>
> We were trying to create a whole new grid (even if a rather small one)
> from scratch in a week, that's quite a lot harder than upgrading
> existing sites. As far as I know we didn't find anything seriously
> wrong, it was just that we didn't quite get everything straightened
> out by the Friday. I doubt it would have gone much faster using the
> 2.6 release, and (as someone who was just testing and not installing
> anything) I was impressed it went as smoothly as it did.
>
> Stephen

Storage has been tested quite heavily by the storage group both DPM and
D-Cache.

I have been more focused on the end of February release of 2_7_1, and
maybe consequently feel one or two rough edges persist in YAIM D-Cache
which Mathias De Riese and I are now applying finalising changes toward.

I am not active in the DPM integration efforts and only know from
secondary sources how much better the new release of DPM is than
previous releases but this gives me a very strong belief that all site
should want to upgrade DPM as they undoubtedly will want to upgrade
D-cache.

I welcome UK sites wishing to install D-Cache for the first time,
contact me as it will save them some fiddly administration tasks, and
further testing of the 2_7_1 LCG YAIM system is always welcome.

To summarise the perspective from the storage side 2_7_0 is a major
upgrade for both DPM and D-Cache sites, administrators and will find
many improvements.

Regards

Owen

PS

my work on 2_7_1 will be merged into Yaim's CVS "head" next week so
my focus is on small changes for the week and testing testing testing.