I agree -- this has been a fun and useful discussion.  Harry, I always
thought the opposite of "hyperbole" was understatement, but darned if
I know its fancy title.  One of my favorite examples has always been
Wordsworth's "But she is in her grave, and oh/ The difference to me."

By the way, Milton does something new and interesting with transferred
epithets in Lycidas (and elsewhere) -- e.g., "gust of rugged
wings...beaked promontory" -- almost a t.e. chiasmus!

Happy new year to all,

Susanne