Given the date of the poem (1895) and the fact that it was in 1893 that Lobengula attacked the British settlers and miners, I agree with Mary Hamer that Lobengula (King of the Matabele tribe (Ndebele) in what is now Zimbabwe) is the most likely answer.
'Google' doesn't react to 'Loben' except with some incomprehensible (to me) German pop singer!
And Sayyid Burgash was a bad tempered Sultan of Zanzibar (see 'The Limitations of Pambe Serang'  in Life's Handicap - I'm cheating, it's Google again!).  The British had just had a certain amount of trouble with him on the East African coast.
    Yours,
    Alastair Wilson