Lynette and Judith,

I want to invite broader discussion of audio-video than what I can supply at this time.  There are a range of packages that operate in different ways.

I will talk about two, ATLAS.ti and HyperResearch.  I mention these two because they both facilitate analyzing discrete segments of audio and video within a package built for the explicit purpose of analysis of qualitative data.  They both have code and memo systems and options for retrieval of co-occurring codes.

When you review audio and video you can include the full digital file in the program and code discrete parts and overlapping sections. You treat the file as an independent data piece equal in status to text documents.   You can include comments and annotations along with each section you mark and/or code.  ATLAS.ti allows for direct linking between specific text segments and audio and video clips.

For more information on ATLAS.ti visit www.atlasti.com

For more information on HyperResearch visit www.researchware.com

Hope that helps,

Ray