Well, I'm an European mixture but have  always been dark and as a result since I
was little, there have been continual though not constant instances of my being
taken (in ranking order of frequency) for Native American, Mexican, Roma (in
European countries). Some of the instances have been harmless, some haven’t.
Some have been positive, for instance, the warmth extended to me from waiters,
waitresses, janitors, gardeners, maids, etc, who have been in part glad to see
'one of their own'  on the other side of the table, etc. But these
various experiences have always been difficult to express, in part because I
don’t have a familial or community experience with which to connect them. But
it has given me more than a glimpse of the pained experience of being a
minority, being treated accordingly, the resultant hesitation in certain places
and social situations and neighborhoods where the instances were not harmless.

It’s one thing to be asked what one’s ethnic background is,  and another to be
taken for a minority, and racism seems to depend upon appearance, in which
any face 'other' is taken for the Other, with resulting variants, depending on
what the 'other' is in one's own experience, for even the imagination is limited
by the assumptions, prejudices and histories of the imaginer. However, I can't
really 'take on' any of these that 'I am' in the same way a person who had the
familial or community experience with which to connect them, since the fluidity
itself is something of a privilege. Perhaps a weird one, for there is nothing really
that I like knowing from these various experiences, even the harmless, or more
positive ones.

My children are half-Mexican, and the instances are more frequent and more
definitive. It’s much easier to be in diverse neighborhoods, when in one's class
all but three of the kids were one generation from somewhere else, China,
Thailand, Vietnam, Haiti, Jamaica, etc.  The result is none of them even ask and
there doesn’t seem to be much notice of the identity of anyone.  When there is
no more, which is to say,  when everyone’s different, no one
makes a point that we are.  On the other hand, none of my children would be
happy being called a blend or contaminated, in part because they have had too
much real experience with those terms used in lethal seriousness,  with the
resulting uncertainties of response and behavior.

Best,

Rebecca