The White Goddess is a fabulously nuts book. I love in particular his
channelling of the translation of the Battle of the Trees.

Graves really did believe - at that stage, anyway - that there were such
things as great women poets (eg his support of Laura Riding or admiration of
Sappho). Squaring the Muse with the female poet was a bit of a trial to him,
as it has been, in different ways, for many feminists.  The Muse being - in
this incarnation anyway - intransigently female, she cancels out poetry in
women: all they can do, if they wish to be poets, is to stamp out their
sexuality (code for "domesticity" is "having children", the famous "pram in
the hallway" that kills poetry or is suicide - I hit that one bigtime when I
had babies). Even if Woman (she's always capitalised in these contexts)
doesn't have babies, her role is to inspire, rather than to be inspired, to
be the object, not the subject, to be thought of, not to think. Step outside
this and, hey presto! she's not Woman any more, but some kind of monstrously
masculine aberration. She is permitted to be Sapphic, but if she is
heterosexual it's only permissible if she has some lingering disease, like
Barrett Browning. All very tricky.

Best

Alison Croggon

Blog: http://theatrenotes.blogspot.com