Well, Marcus,

not to deny your take on the numbers (I was a poetry editor for a
monthly journal in Canada many years ago, & read about 500 poems per
month -- but I could toss many of them after a few lines), but the
cynicism here is a tad too much.

I'd put it this way: I look at the journal, find that the kind of
poetry it publishes is very unlike what I tend to write, & I don't
waste my time submitting to it. Or, I find that it publishes the kind
of poetry I admire, & maybe I give it a try. I don't write 'for' it, or
'to' its specs, but I also do bother to check it out before I waste
time &/or money on submitting.

Another reason I never tried The New Yorker <g>...

Doug
On 10-Jan-06, at 7:46 AM, Marcus Bales wrote:

> Let's examine that notion. If that isn't asking for writing to order,
> what is?
> It's saying "Write the way I want you to, and you have a better chance
> of
> appearing in my journal". It's saying "Write to order; here are
> examples
> that have succeeded in writing to order in the past". Who can really
> believe that anyone who says such a thing is really looking for "the
> best
> poems"? They're not looking for the best poems -- they're looking for
> the
> poems that most closely fit to what they like. It means that what
> journals
> do in contemporary po-biz is insist that poets reverse-engineer their
> poems: look in the journal you want to publish in, get familiar with
> the
> kind of poems it publishes, and write like that. What else does "Read
> the
> magazine and send poems like the ones in the magazine" mean?

Douglas Barbour
11655 - 72 Avenue NW
Edmonton  Ab  T6G 0B9
(780) 436 3320