Thanks for this account, Stephen, of Richard Long's slide show and lecture,
which sounds interesting, but thanks, too, for going into detail about your
ringer of a question, his response, and the various thoughts that prompted in
you.

>In fariness, I guess we can also count multiples the number of writers who
>have no literacy around the visual! It's probably the sad irony of so many
>art programs in the way they exclude literature study  from their
>requirements, and, reciprocally, the way creative writing programs remain
>blind to visual literature, let alone the history of music, avant garde
>innovation, etc. Whatever writers, artists or composers discover beyond the
>frames of their discipline, I suspect is left  to do it on their own.  I
>suspect, or imagine the multi-disciplinary character of computer technology
>is rapidly altering the situation (tho I personally do not know if the
>'pedagogy' is keeping up with these changes at all. )

You may have a point about whatever 'writers, artists or composers discover
beyond the frames of their discipline, I suspect is left to do it on their own."
However, I don't know. One of the aspects that I like about teaching at the Fine
Arts Center in Provincetown is the simultaneous residencies of poets, fiction
writers, non-fiction writers, print makers, artists in various media,
photographers, etc. A reading by a poet will be paired or sometimes tripled with
a slide show, lecture, by an artist in the visual arts. The night I read last
summer, there was also a lecture and slide show/ video by Vicky Tomayko,
whose work lately is a sort of child's fantasy world inhabited by monsters and
animated objects, which often transformed across whatever boundaries that
world created. I found the work of the artists incredibly interesting, for instance
Marian Roth's talk about making her entire house into a pin hole camera and the
resulting amazing images. Almost all the 'writer' events I've been to in the last
year have included the visual arts and music. On the other hand, I'd guess that
writing courses do mostly teach writing, but then that depends. At Brandeis
where I'm teaching undergraduates, almost all of the students are double
majors, I think I've had four creative writing majors out of some 50 students,
and even then they are usually taking another major, in art, music, pre-med,
etc.   So there does seem to be a lot of crossing over artistic and science
disciplines, in practice anyway; I can't really say about the "pedagogy' not having
had any. . .

best,

Rebecca