> For a start the Anglo-Saxon poets wrote in what was outdated language at
> the
> time, not too surprising, conservatism in literary dialects isn't unusual,
> however this encompassed the Great g-change, even worse than the Vowel
> Shift, when 'g' as in Ge-this Ge-that started to soften into 'j' (as in
> German pronounced jerman) and then, even worse, into 'y' (second cousin of
> yogh) as 'y-fallen' etc.

I hadn't thought of (known) that, dave -- the sequence would then be the
3e-past tense Old English indicator shifts from a 'g' to a 'j'
pronunciation, and by the time of Spenser we get a totally erroneous
y-fallen [e.g.] (pronounced eye-fallen) based on a confusion of the soft
yogh with y-pronounced-eye rather than yogh-pronounced-yi.

Have I got this right?  My head is spinning.

            :-(

> Hence did Great Chaos flap its wings.

To right, and not in the luminous void in vain either.

Robin